The 99% Declaration

WHEREAS THE FIRST AMENDMENT TO THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION PROVIDES THAT:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

BE IT RESOLVED THAT:

WE, THE PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in order to form a more perfect Union, by, for and of the PEOPLE, shall elect and convene a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY beginning on July 4, 2012 in the City Of Philadelphia.

And so begins  The 99% Declaration (click link to read the entire document)

• To what degree does this declaration represent you?
  • Agreements?
  • Amendments?
  • Disagreements?
  • What is your belief in the potential of an action/event such as this?
  • Would you be there?

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a rather comprehensive set of policy corrections, but it puts a great deal of faith in the power of the ballot and the potential for effective independent party campaigns.

I took another look at the Declaration and found a fatal flaw: "Copyright 2011 by Michael S. Pollok"

How can someone who claims to speak for the decentralized, leaderless #OWS movement, and who opens his Declaration with a quote from Thomas Jefferson (who believed that ideas are the one thing that cannot be exclusively owned), and who offers a prescription for general nation-wide adoption claim personal ownership at the start of the process?

An excellent point to post on the New York City General Assembly web site which is where I found this document. I suggest overlooking the © and take collective ownership, occupy it like a public domain.  

I take the spirit in which this Declaration was offered to be a challenge to create a viable solution to strip away the tangled and obfuscated web of subterfuge that has become the "law" of our land.  

I just posted this note to the BBC web site:

I am a founding member of OccupyCafe.org.  We are providing a global forum for #Occupy conversations re: issues that matter most both online and via live interactive conference calls.  In a radio interview last week with an Australian program, we acknowledged how the issues are global, the players are global and the momentum driving this movement is a universal upwelling of a reclamation of human dignity.

Underlyingly, the #Occupy movement in the USA is aiming toward petitioning the US government for a Redress of Grievances to remediate corporate hijacking of civil liberties and our Constitutional rights to control the destiny of the well being of, we, the people.

Thank you for providing a space to communicate this as our own national media is highly biased and co-opted the by the very same corporations with whom we require redress.

Attention is once again growing around the experiment this document represents:

1. It's said that a petition of the government for redress of grievance has yet to be enacted in our country's history
  2. I would then ask, Is our constitution a functional instrument for the protection of democracy
  3. Is a healthy majority consensus possible on an amended constitution
  4. Can our country achieve unify?
  5. What would an attempted national assembly actually look like?

Count me in.  I need to continue to be told the ways in which I can participate and contribute.  In this climate of EVERYONE having hands in the till, I need endorsement by the people I trust in this, which includes Michael Moore and Dylan Ratigan.  Thank you.  I'll keep watching and doing what I can to make sure this movement keeps moving forward until completion.

Susan French

http://www.hypno4success.com

RSS

Weekly Cafe Calls

Regular Calls are no longer being held.  Below is the schedule that was maintained from the Fall of 2011 through Jan 10, 2013.

Mondays
"Vital Conversations" 

8-10a PDT | 11a-1p EDT | 3-5p GMT 

Tuesdays (except 10/16)
"Connect 2012"

1-3p PDT | 4-6p EDT | 8-10p GMT

Thursdays
"Occupy Heart" 

3-5p PDT | 6-8p EDT | 10p-12a GMT

Latest Activity

Clay Forsberg posted a blog post

"Happy Birthday Occupy Wall Street ... thoughts on Year One"

Fifteen years ago, I ran across a book, "100 Most Influential People in History," during one of my dalliances to my local Marin County bookstore. "Influential People" was one man's assessment on exactly that. But how he determined his rankings was the interesting part. They weren't always the reasons you would think. But after thinking about it, they made complete sense. For example:George Washington was ranked in the top 40 of all time. Understandable. But the reason why ... not so much. You…See More
Sep 20, 2012
Clay Forsberg is now a member of Occupy Cafe
Sep 20, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a group
Thumbnail

Leadership Ecology

When a Leadership Ecology occurs, a web of relationships emerges revealing each person’s authentic leadership qualities through the transfer of their power to others. When done in a conscious way – a shared collaborative awakening happens.See More
Feb 6, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a blog post
Feb 3, 2012

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Occupy Cafe Stewards.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service