We the people of the United States began with a Declaration of INDEPENDENCE.  My view is that we now need to expand our collective view to INTER-DEPENDENCE.  If we can recognize that we can use our INDEPENDENCE to simultaneously accept our INTER-DEPENDENCE, WE can collaborate in a process of living that works for us all.

As of now at least a few of us (e.g. the 1%) are using our independence to focus only SELF-interest. 

How can we bring about a shift so that we all focus on COMMON- interest in combination with SELF-interest?   As I understand it, that is the primary challenge we all face.   And the Occupy movement could lead in facilitating a shift in our colllective consciousness so that we can work together in coping with this challenge.

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If some focus on COMMON-interest in combination with SELF-interest and it looks good enough to inspire others to do the same, the shift should be inexorable.  Demonstration, not prescription.

Interdependence draws in all the other beings, too, right?

As I understand "INTERdepence" it is a choice we make -- each of us and all of us.  As of now, my impression is that many of us (maybe most of us) are focussed primarily, if not solely, on INdependence and that leads us to focus only on SELF- interest (e.g. most of the 1%, though not all, e.g. the Gates).  The U.S. is founded on a "Declaration of Independence" with no recognition of INTERdependence.  

I share the view that "Interdependence draws in all the other beings."  But that depends on how each of us conceives what "interdependence" means to us.  My impression is that "we the people" have a long way to go in order to expand our view of our "independence" to encompass "interdepence on a scale that draws in all the other beings."

It is conceiveable to me that our "dialogue and deliberation" could explore this view more -- and, by doing so, bring that broader view into being.  [How can we call this to the attention of our "D &D community"?

Instead of a long way to go, I believe a more deliberate interdependence with plants and/or animals will to some, for a wide variety of reasons, appear a more attractive first step.  Many people start to grow their own food before they start to build community.

I believe choices of steps are key to a successful shift, which is why my answer to your original how question discouraged prescription.

RSS

Weekly Cafe Calls

Regular Calls are no longer being held.  Below is the schedule that was maintained from the Fall of 2011 through Jan 10, 2013.

Mondays
"Vital Conversations" 

8-10a PDT | 11a-1p EDT | 3-5p GMT 

Tuesdays (except 10/16)
"Connect 2012"

1-3p PDT | 4-6p EDT | 8-10p GMT

Thursdays
"Occupy Heart" 

3-5p PDT | 6-8p EDT | 10p-12a GMT

Latest Activity

Clay Forsberg posted a blog post

"Happy Birthday Occupy Wall Street ... thoughts on Year One"

Fifteen years ago, I ran across a book, "100 Most Influential People in History," during one of my dalliances to my local Marin County bookstore. "Influential People" was one man's assessment on exactly that. But how he determined his rankings was the interesting part. They weren't always the reasons you would think. But after thinking about it, they made complete sense. For example:George Washington was ranked in the top 40 of all time. Understandable. But the reason why ... not so much. You…See More
Sep 20, 2012
Clay Forsberg is now a member of Occupy Cafe
Sep 20, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a group
Thumbnail

Leadership Ecology

When a Leadership Ecology occurs, a web of relationships emerges revealing each person’s authentic leadership qualities through the transfer of their power to others. When done in a conscious way – a shared collaborative awakening happens.See More
Feb 6, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a blog post
Feb 3, 2012

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Occupy Cafe Stewards.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service