“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”  This quote goes along with, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results." 

12-2p PDT | 3-5p EDT | 7-9p GMT
Click here to register

It's not really due to fault that we go round and round.  Cyclical iterations are a function of consciousness evolving itself.  It's why systems tend to change slowly, outside of revolutions, that is.  However, how many revolutions might be true revolutions?  How many revolutions might actually express a radically [Latin for radical=radix=root] new dynamic?  How might we escape our reiterative cycles?

Consider how many times you reenact behaviors and circumstances in your personal relationships before you: a.) notice you're doing or being some way that is less than optimal; b.) catch yourself in the moment; c.) identify what you can do differently; d.) begin to actually do that different thing; e.) do that different thing on a regular basis; f.) have that new behavior become a seamless, automatic part of your life.  (I oversimplified this process quite a bit so as not to belabor the alphabet.)  How often, might you guess, do individuals succeed in a making a complete shift in any one behavior in the course of their entire life?  Now consider the vision we have for our global community.  (This is fun, isn't it?)  

Yesterday, I spent time with Barbara Marx Hubbard and a group of 70 intrepid travelers as we explored the possibility that something radically new is at hand, preparing to emerge in a surprising form. To consider making radical change the way we've always done it can feel daunting.  Finding our way outside the box of current thought into fresh perspectives is energizing, creative and positively uplifting. 

Let's consider:

• Imagine now, what might it take to engage this process of new thinking collectively? 
  • What rituals or habits might we develop as larger social units that could employ to facilitate this kind of process? 
  • How might we facilitate this process as a movement?

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice card, Ben. Thanks for adding that.

You're welcome, Deborah!  consider buying a set--they're terrific!  Hey--I just put it together--you're the Deborah on the call!  So great to have your voice with us!

[continuing to scribe today's call]

What is your most audacious vision?  What is becoming or unfolding?

• a rapid personal awakening into oneness
  • a morphic resonance/quantum leap is not only possible but likely and happening now.  i'm seeing it.  poverty and ignorance disappear!  when enough (not a majority or even a huge pct) members of a species transform, the whole population can suddenly shift there with them.  no words are necessary--everyone will already understand.
    • jitendra: yes, and your voice is unique and required as well.
  • thinking small... start by being an example, showing courage, creativity.  cooperatives, for example.  our own ideas of change might be wrong.  concern about acting like we know the answers.  "audacious" is a word that evokes this concern.
  • Maryanne Williamson: 
    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
  • CREATIVITY... blending science and art... asking questions... trying something out...getting feedback... 
    • studies on how brains work.  habits, quirks and blind spots.
    • E.g. hearing criticism of Occupy organizing in Chicago--is it "old school leftist?"  Staying open to this was very helpful, as opposed to going into a defensive reaction.  All this focus on "the next direct action," and not much time spent of feedback and evolution to create consciousness change.  What can we learn from the past, and what is different today?
    • accept going into change and NOT knowing what it will ultimately look like if it happens successfully?
    • roles/modes we apply in these old paradigm stories: "perpetrator," "victim," "rescuer."  what if we stepped out of that narrative and chose a new one?
  • round and round thinking--how challenging it is to understand and put into practice a different kind of thinking, and to maintain it for even more than a few seconds!
    • for past three days, I've been trying to notice/remember from moment to moment that I actually am connected to everything and everybody all the time. there is no separate me.  Arnie Mindell: Dreaming Wide Awake.

(Cafe regular Daniel R. Peterson)

Adorable!

Here's a man that seems to relish swimming in air and breathing water...you continually make me smile, Daniel!

As seems to happen too often, I was abruptly pulled away by my life's realities, from the end of the Cafe Call.  However, I am thrilled to have made it through 3/4s of that.

Thank you, Jitendra, for fully reframing forever in my own mind what the word OCCUPY actually denotes.  Inhabit, Matter, Value.  YES ! ! !  It is not a resistance, so much as it is a "taking back" and re-instilling the values that have mattered all along but which became obscured, by so much noise of distractions piled on, at an ever increasing speed and volume.

The ALOHA meditation is a keeper for me.  Worked very well in ways that yet surprised me, though I always do well when "guided" that way.

May I be blessed with many more Cafe Call alignments in the coming days, weeks and months.  It is such a blessing to have made your and Ben's acquaintances.  The Occupy Movement is blessed that you play an important part - IMHO.

Peace & Blessings -

Deb

Glad you were able to chime in.  Hope we have your live presence again soon. 

I have been playing with various forms of the ALOHA practice for 40 years.  I started with 15 years of just, Aha.  (For those unfamiliar, ALOHA covers 5 dynamics of internal relationship) I look forward to seeing what emerges from this practice 40 years from now...it's unfolding mystery is ceaseless. 

Reading this thread I cannot help posting again. Sorry to disturb your way of thinking;-).

Cognition is the process within the individual mind. The thought is fed by experience of our “true nature" from the inside and physical perception from the outside. The thought interacts with behavior.

Our generation can no longer believe individual existence, perception and thoughts are a kind of illusion. Interacting (via behavior) with reality our ego-centered thought can and do change the world and we do experience the consequences.

An individual has only one mind and one consciousness and it cannot “evolve itself”. Feedback is the principle of evolution. There is a feedback between consciousness and reality - both coevolve interacting through social system, knowledge and matter/technology. The world and the average worldview have changed (evolved) immensely over 2 thousand years.

Digression: Achieving no success in asynchronous continuous communication within the movement I went back to study ancient thinkers. What is interesting – from that point of view - in American spiritualism is the striking similarity between your way of thinking (and the context you use) and that of authors of gnostic gospels (parallel time scale, roughly 2 thousand years).

It seems that going round and round (no evolution) concerns, contrary to perception, only inner experience. And no wonder - there is no environment (background, platform, space, whatever) to establish the evolutionary process, communicate with feedback. The effects of enlightenment(s) and other one-way communication with our spiritual source are erased when the body and mind die. Every “new mind” starts from the beginning, using the same, given and brought up kind of thinking.

My past experience trying to discuss on the OC forum makes me withhold the conclusions, please treat this post as a question. What do you think?

I think that avoiding conclusions is pretty much always a good thing.

I understand what you mean – it makes a good match with my four years’ experience of American social networking.

But on the other hand…

This thread opening by Jittendra addresses thinking. Conclusion is a decision reached after careful thought [wiktionary].  I dream of understanding what use you see in thinking - following the premise you state.  Is not thinking always a good thing? What is the thread for?

I assume it is a premise, because otherwise it should be understood as a conclusion ( I think that…) and would not fit the general meaning of your reply.

P.S.  Please be tolerant of my wording – on this level of discussion it is really hard to use nonnative language.

RSS

Weekly Cafe Calls

Regular Calls are no longer being held.  Below is the schedule that was maintained from the Fall of 2011 through Jan 10, 2013.

Mondays
"Vital Conversations" 

8-10a PDT | 11a-1p EDT | 3-5p GMT 

Tuesdays (except 10/16)
"Connect 2012"

1-3p PDT | 4-6p EDT | 8-10p GMT

Thursdays
"Occupy Heart" 

3-5p PDT | 6-8p EDT | 10p-12a GMT

Latest Activity

Clay Forsberg posted a blog post

"Happy Birthday Occupy Wall Street ... thoughts on Year One"

Fifteen years ago, I ran across a book, "100 Most Influential People in History," during one of my dalliances to my local Marin County bookstore. "Influential People" was one man's assessment on exactly that. But how he determined his rankings was the interesting part. They weren't always the reasons you would think. But after thinking about it, they made complete sense. For example:George Washington was ranked in the top 40 of all time. Understandable. But the reason why ... not so much. You…See More
Sep 20, 2012
Clay Forsberg is now a member of Occupy Cafe
Sep 20, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a group
Thumbnail

Leadership Ecology

When a Leadership Ecology occurs, a web of relationships emerges revealing each person’s authentic leadership qualities through the transfer of their power to others. When done in a conscious way – a shared collaborative awakening happens.See More
Feb 6, 2012
Vic Desotelle posted a blog post
Feb 3, 2012

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Occupy Cafe Stewards.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service